RE: Strange Interview Practices

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices
From: envvy harris <envvy -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:34:44 -0800 (PST)

I want to thank all of you who have shared your
thoughts and opionions on this matter.
This interview for me was a lesson.

Just to clarify a few things:
I too work in software documentation. I have taken
writing tests?been to the firing squad too! Hell I
have spent a full day interviewing with everyone
except the cleaning staff.
The interview process itself I have no problem with, I
have been through quite a few interview a scenario.
When the Project Lead set the interview he had the
foresight to request I be prepared for the following:
Bring a presentation and be prepared to present to
THEIR interview team (no mention of other cnadidates)

Be prepared to spend a half hour with each person then
they would take me to lunch.
That I bring samples of my work.

?My problem is.. I was little taken back by the lack
of regard shown to myself and the other candidates (at
the last minute?. as we are walk into the conference
room which is fully equipped with two other candidate
we are asked ?By the way would you mind presenting
with the other candidates in the room?? hell there
already there what was I supposed to do.)
AS ALWAYS I smiled and said; that it was a little
different however, I guess it wouldn?t be a problem?.

In my mind at that point this ceased to be a
professional interview and became a dog and pony show.

Afterwards we all went out to lunch together (myself,
the other candidates, and the inteview team).
At least I got a free meal out of it!

Lucky for me that I got an offer from a company that I
DO want to work for and had enough respect for me to
schedule an interview (round-robin style) without
having to introduce me to my competition because they
wanted the person who was interviewing me to meet
them.

ABOVE ALL ELSE I am always a professional.

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp