RE: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: RE: Gray hair and first impressions
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:23:22 -0600

Willow wrote:
>If someone isn't going to hire you because
>of gray hair, then that's their loss. Anyway, is that really the kind of
>place you want to work? A place that values the way a person looks over
what
>skills they have? You should be hired based on your qualifications. I know
>there's ageism* out there. But you can't let it beat you! Seriously, will
>you do better work after dying you're hair? Will you know something that
had
>eluded you up till that moment you cover the gray? Nope. You'll be the same
>person. You'll be the same age. So, how then does dying your hair make a
>difference?

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone on this
list.

Discriminatory behavior on the part of an interviewer is not necessarily a
reflection of the company on the whole. We cannot assume that all
employers/interviewers are righteous individuals who hold no prejudices or
biases, and will judge people purely on their skills and experience.
Discrimination of all kinds is very much prevalent everywhere, but don't we
need to make compromises, since we will (upon getting hired) conform to
whatever corporate culture exists at the company?

For example, I enjoy keeping my hair long, but this isn't always acceptable
for men (even in the tech industry), which I consider a form of
discrimination: Men with long hair are hippies, slackers, unreliable,
undependable, unprofessional, or all of the above. But I still always cut
my hair before an interview.

Working in a corporate environment requires all of us to conform in some
way, and if dying your hair will get you the job, then I would do it, and
then set it back to your level of comfort. It sounds underhanded, but
sometimes, such actions may be required; especially in a time when getting
an interview is an accomplishment all on it's own.

Jerry Springer's Final Thoughts: IMHO, I'd rather be employed, doing what I
love, rather than sitting at home with my principles to comfort me.
Idealism won't pay my bills.

Syed