Re: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: Re: I just got one of those resumes
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:23:49 -0500

At 9:34 AM -0700 2/1/02, Paul Strasser wrote:

can we come up with
reasonable scenarios in which the use of effective styles/templates in your
resume would "turn off" an employer? I'd be interested in hearing reasons
why someone should go out of their way to not use styles ("If you use styles
in your resume you won't get the job because.....")

I've had interviewers sneer at my style-based resume because they assumed it was prepared by a resume service. The last one said: "I can always tell when somebody uses a resume service. Real people don't bother with that stuff. It's a waste of time unless you expect to crank out hundreds of resumes assembly-line style."

You can't anticipate every quirky objection. And there eventually *will* be a quirky objection to every choice you make. So...I do what makes sense to me, and try to have a reasonable explanation ready to answer those objections. Sometimes, I get a chance to present my explanation. Sometimes I don't. I try not to obsess about it.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr