Re: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: Re: I just got one of those resumes
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:34:20 -0700

> Though this thread is *scary*: it had never occurred to me that a
potential
> employer would conclude that because I *hadn't* used tables or tabs in my
> CV, that must mean I
>
> -am lying about being an expert Word user
> -that I think I'm an expert but I really haven't a clue
> -that if a technique doesn't appear in my CV, that must mean I don't know
> how to use it

If you use styles/templates other than Normal in your Word-created CV or
resume, it means you know how to use styles/templates in a document like a
Word-created CV or resume.

That's all it means. Is that good or bad? Your first writing sample to a
potential employer or recruiter would show a wee bit more proficiency in
Word than some other CV's might. Many -- perhaps most -- recruiters or
businesses will ignore it or not even realize it's there. Some might,
though.

Clearly, some people think that there is little point to using styles, and
have come up with nifty (and valid) explanations for not using them. There
are a few good reasons to use them, though -- like the one I mentioned at
the beginning of this note.

So -- are there good reasons to not use them? That is, can we come up with
reasonable scenarios in which the use of effective styles/templates in your
resume would "turn off" an employer? I'd be interested in hearing reasons
why someone should go out of their way to not use styles ("If you use styles
in your resume you won't get the job because.....")

The reasons I gave in my previous post for using templates was based on the
assumption that it was a no-lose situation. It can't hurt, at worst is a
neutral - and at best a positive. I'd be happy to reconsider my assumptions
if we can think of reasons why they'd be a negative.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com