TM whine/plea

Subject: TM whine/plea
From: "Paul Kent" <pkent -at- tripathimaging -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:17:04 -0800

I've cross posted this to Framers, because I need the input of as large as
sample size as possible to try to establish some credibility for what I
think is the correct point of view.

I've come up against some regulatory/marketing folk in the last couple days
concerning the proper use of the trademark and registered trademark symbols.
I've always (15 yrs or so) heard that trade marking the first (text)
reference of a term was all that was required. When I came to this company,
their ops manuals used registered trademark symbols for "every" instance of
their brand names, even in their footers and headers. I've lobbied (fairly
successfully to this point) for the first use marking instead. However, we
just re-branded our entire product line and the issue is coming to the fore
again.

With the current re-branding project, the following rationale is being put
forth:
since our Ops manuals are not hard bound (we use 3-ring binders), a single
page could conceivably be separated from the whole; hence, the first use of
any trademarked term on every page must be marked.

This seems outlandish and unreasonable to me (mew), can anyone either
provide me with support data or help me get over it:)?

Thanks
PK