Re: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: Re: I just got one of those resumes
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:52:20 -0700

> I've had interviewers sneer at my style-based resume because they
> assumed it was prepared by a resume service. The last one said: "I
> can always tell when somebody uses a resume service. Real people
> don't bother with that stuff. It's a waste of time unless you expect
> to crank out hundreds of resumes assembly-line style."

Remarkable. The interviewer assumed that someone tried to get something
done professionally and is slammed for it. You're right, Kit -- it takes
all kinds.

(But there is a way to avoid the "professional resume service" sneer. Use
style names that are yours alone - "Paul's Resume Body Text" as an absurd
example.)

I'm beginning to wonder if folks like the interviewer quoted in the above
example are just anti-Word (or anti-style) phobics. They don't understand
it, and to rationalize their ignorance of a basic tool of Word they
characterize those who know how to use it as geeks or people who aren't
"real."

But even given this weird experience, Kit -- did you remove the styles from
your resume to appear more "real" to people like this?

>I try not to obsess about it.

That's the best advice so far in this thread!

(Heck, maybe we should all use crayons on napkins. Or semaphores.)

Paul Strasser