RE: Are You Annoying or Not? quiz

Subject: RE: Are You Annoying or Not? quiz
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:47:38 -0500

Oh yes! Like when someone tells me to go "down" to XYZ Street, and I ask,
"Is that east, west, north, or south?"

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:21:41 -0000 "Jane Carnall"
<jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com> writes:
> I fear that a passion for precision will always appear Partially
> Annoying.... Do other technical writers have this problem, or is it
> just me?

Clearly, neither of you is a native Bostonian! North, south, east, and west
are generally irrelevant in giving directions here, and (as a result of
historical acquisitions) street names are frequently duplicated in various
parts of the city. The one exception is that there's occasionally a proposal
to make all the city streets one way going west, so that pretty soon, all
the traffic will be Worcester's problem.

So once again, it's "know your audience," whether you're asking or giving
directions.

Marguerite
<G>