RE: parenthood and tech writing

Subject: RE: parenthood and tech writing
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:30:29 -0000

Teresa wrote...
> Finally, "dabbling" in any business is not realistic. If you
> want to be a
> freelance anything, you will have to work your tail off! You need a
> portfolio, you need to sell, you need to know your market,
> your pricing, and
> your product!

Actually, I'd tend to disagree with this statement. While I'm a fulltime
employee of a software development company, I've had a couple of
contracts writing content for video games. I'm essentially "dabbling" in
another industry. I don't have to work my tail off, because it's no more
than 6-8 hours a week. My circumstances would be the same if I was a
stay-at-home parent (fat chance--of parenthood, I mean) and only wanted
to work 6-8 hours a week.

I don't need to know my market or pricing--at least, I haven't had to do
any research so far, and I'm happy with my rate. I happen to know my
product because I've played an unhealthy amount of video games in my
life, but it's not like I spend a lot of time reading about games. I got
my first contract because the gaming company liked the samples I
submitted and I just keep getting phone calls. So, not everyone has to
work their tail off to do a bit of contract work. Thanks. DB.