RE: Resume format

Subject: RE: Resume format
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:42:41 -0000

Justin Cascio wrote:

> * Do you think it's a good idea to sort the meat of a resume
> by skills rather than by employers?

I definitely think this is a good way to go. I've gotten my last three
jobs with a resume in this format. My skills are organized into three
categories: Writing/Editing, Management/Mentoring, Computer/Technical.
As others have indicated, each skill or accomplishment I list has
specific results associated it (money saved, positive user feedback,
etc.). I include a chronological summary (basically dates, employer, job
title and location) at the end of my resume.

> * Was this recruiter definitely rude and defensive, or is it
> just my neurotic opinion?

This skills-oriented resume is apparently a newer way of organizing your
resume than the standard chronological one. The recruiter, given that
she's been the industry for X number of years (where X is greater than,
say, 10), might be somewhat set in her ways. Alternately, if she's got
hard data to back up her approach, she may have a point.

Thanks. DB.

Resume format: From: Justin Cascio