RE: Portfolio Question

Subject: RE: Portfolio Question
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:47:57 -0000

>Cass...Go to the archives for this list fromn the list's home page
>(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/) and enter the term "leave
>portfolio".
>When I did. I got 669 hits. You will get similar volume of hits for
>each of your questions. Then, after you've exhausted the resource,
>we'd be happy to address questions you may come up with.

When I get a dozen hits for something in the Techwhirl archives, I think
it's great. I go in, I read, and I come out again with new insights or
outasights for the question I had. But if I get 669 hits for anything in the
response is not 55 times as helpful as a 12-hit response, it's more like
0.0179 times as helpful. It means ploughing through approximately 600 posts
that will be completely unhelpful, and then sorting through the remaining
70-odd posts that were helpful at the time but are not particularly germane
to the question I have to answer... and if it's something I have to do on my
modem connection at home instead of my employer's broadband connection at
work, it becomes completely unworkable.

Sometimes "check the archives" isn't the most helpful response in the world.

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around the archives chanting and occasionally tossing
in a small newbie.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.