RE: Portfolio Question

Subject: RE: Portfolio Question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:57:36 -0800 (PST)

Jane...

That's like saying that Google, or any web search engine is useless
because I can enter a term and get 4 million hits.

Instead, what this tells me is that I have 669 possible choices for
information, now I need to refine my search criteria until I get
exactly what I'm looking for. Entering the general term is just to
find out if there is "enough steer to make a decent steak...now carve
out a few tenderloins".

--- Jane Carnall <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com> wrote:
> >Cass...Go to the archives for this list fromn the list's home page
> >(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/) and enter the term "leave
> >portfolio".
> >When I did. I got 669 hits. You will get similar volume of hits
> >for each of your questions. Then, after you've exhausted the
> >resource, we'd be happy to address questions you may come up with.
>
> When I get a dozen hits for something in the Techwhirl archives, I
> think it's great. I go in, I read, and I come out again with new
> insights or
> outasights for the question I had. But if I get 669 hits for
> anything in the
> 669-hit
> response is not 55 times as helpful as a 12-hit response, it's more
> like
> 0.0179 times as helpful. It means ploughing through approximately
> 600 posts
> that will be completely unhelpful, and then sorting through the
> remaining
> 70-odd posts that were helpful at the time but are not particularly
> germane
> to the question I have to answer... and if it's something I have to
> do on my
> modem connection at home instead of my employer's broadband
> connection at work, it becomes completely unworkable.
>
> Sometimes "check the archives" isn't the most helpful response in
> the world.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15