RE: Portfolio Question

Subject: RE: Portfolio Question
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:17:43 -0000

>That's like saying that Google, or any web search engine is useless
>because I can enter a term and get 4 million hits.
>Instead, what this tells me is that I have 669 possible choices for
>information, now I need to refine my search criteria until I get
>exactly what I'm looking for.

Absolutely. But (IMHO) while it's not difficult at all to get 4 million hits
on google - any newbie can do that - what requires experience is to refine
your search so you get only a dozen useful hits. (And the same, only more
so, with the techwr-l archives.) Assisting newbies to acquire the right kind
of experience is (IMNSHO) part of what this list is about. Telling a newbie
they can get 669 hits on the archives is kind of like telling the butcher's
apprentice that there's plenty of beef on the steer, and expecting them to
proceed from there with no further help.

Cass, one reason why John is getting a tad snippy is because we did discuss
this at length this year already, and for that matter last year - if you do
a month-by-month search over the past six months, you should come up with a
less-intimidating number of hits. I regret to say that the answer you are
likely to come up with is a resounding "It depends!" Acquire enough
opinions, and soon you too will be an experienced poster and able to tell
newbies the same thing....

Jane Carnall
The archives all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing
in a small writer.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.