Wordless documentation

Subject: Wordless documentation
From: "Madden, Jim" <Jim -dot- Madden -at- Hypertherm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:27:04 -0500

Hi all,

I looked through the archives and did not find anything that applied. I have
also been searching on the web.
I am normally a lurker on this list because I don't write for software or
the web. We are a durable goods manufacturer. All of our manuals are
printed.
I'm trying to find information on creating wordless instructions to replace
text in our manuals. I have seen numerous examples for relatively simple
tasks like changing a printer cartridge, but the level of complexity is much
greater when it comes to putting our metal cutting systems together.
What I'm looking for is a starting point. Examples of how other companies
have done it, or why they haven't. What type of instructions should we try
and make wordless. Are there standards?
Our main goal is to reduce translation costs.
Any and all input is welcome, on or off line.
Thanks,
Jim Madden
jim -dot- madden -at- hypertherm -dot- com