RE: Defining styles in framemaker 5.6

Subject: RE: Defining styles in framemaker 5.6
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:04:11 -0500

SJ:

Yes, you can definately define styles. In a FrameMaker document, you have a
list of styles that are preexisting--some Adobe makes and some you may have
made by importing text or using someone else's files.

You can add/delete/rename styles -- Paragraph Formats -- within a document.
Most function are available in the paragraph designer (CTRL+m on windows).
Once you have these set up how you like for a document, you can also import
formats through many files to give them consistent lists of styles and a
consistent look. (And, if you have one or two files that needs to look
different, you can still make changes inside those specific files.)

Working with paragraph formats is fairly important to FrameMaker documents.
The paragraph dormats not only determines how the text looks, but these are
the key to publishing: the paragraph format are used to create FrameMaker
TOCs, List of Figures/Tables, bookmarks in printed PDFs, tags in HTML
output, etc. Using them effectively saves you time later on; using them
incorrectly can be a nightmare.

If you are having trouble with this aspect of FrameMaker, you really should
consider a training class. If training is not an option, then pick up both
Adobe's "FrameMaker 6 Classroom in a Book" (a step-by-step tutorials) and
Thomas Neuberger's "The Master Series: FrameMaker 6" (a must-have book with
real-world tips and techniques).

Good luck, and don't get discouraged... I've 'converted' many a Word user to
FrameMaker and had them become FrameMaker champions.

Kay

Kay Ethier
FrameMaker Expert & Trainer
BRIGHT PATH SOLUTIONS
100 Park Drive, Suite 102
PO Box 14265
Research Triangle Park NC 27709-4265
PHONE: 919.547.0129 (main#)
FAX: 919.558.2183
http://www.travelthepath.com
mailto:kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com