Re: Data on who uses Help?

Subject: Re: Data on who uses Help?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:59:34 -0800 (PST)

As for books, check out:
Standards for Online Communication
Human Factors for Technical Communicators

(you can buy them through my web site...hehe) They both have bibliographies, which are always helpful. Standards for Online Communication is a great introduction to developing online help, touching on the subjects you're interested in. Human Factors for Technical Communicators deals more with cognition and the ways in which people perceive, process and act upon stimuli.

You can also go to ResearchIndex ( http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs ) and do a search by subject. The ResaerchIndex contains a LOT of technical articles in PDF format for FREE!!! WooHoo! They may or may not have what you're looking for.

As far as the differences between the beginner and advanced user, I agree with Jonathan West. When I'm a beginner, I want to know how things work and why. When I'm more advanced, I just want the reference material there so I can find a quick answer to a question. But I also want tips on how I can push the program to its limits, or work a program's quirks to my advantage. :-)

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com