Re: Pros and Cons of HTML tools

Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of HTML tools
From: David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:04:39 -0400

I can only speak of the merits of FP2000 vs FP98.

FP98 was a horror story. I hated it. I had to use tricks to make the thing
keep my HTML code the way I wrote it.

FP2000 improved in that:

- it integrated the editor and file management portions into one window
- it no longer assumed you were a moron (or someone who didn't write
M*soft-compliant HTML) and didn't mess around with the stuff you write

I don't think the editor portion is anywhere near as good as DW. The site
management portion is very nice, though. I tend to edit in HTML-Kit when I
have serious changes to make, then just use FP to manage the uploads.

Depending on how complex the site you'll be working on is, and whether they
are pretty strong on FP, you might like FP better, in this situation.

The main problem with FP is that you have to install server extensions to
get any of the features to work, but if you are contracting to an MS shop
with certified FP people, they've probably already done that. I imagine DW
just uses straight FTP to upload files to the server, so that's one bonus
of DW.

David

Ed Gregory
<edgregory -at- comcast -dot- net> To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent by: cc:
bounce-techwr-l-92932 -at- lists -dot- r Subject: Pros and Cons of HTML tools
aycomm.com

04/11/02 08:43 AM
Please respond to Ed Gregory

I've been asked to present the pros and cons of DW4 versus FrontPage 2000
for a new site that might (big might) be maintained separately. I've got my
own list, but I am hoping to hear more. Heck, I might even be persuaded
that
FP isn't that bad.