RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:39:53 -0700

At 11:10 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

The job I have now is the first job I've ever had making over 40K. Didn't
realize that I lived in poverty for the last 17 years....

$40k looks pretty good on the way up; it's dismal on the
way down! When you've worked for a fair amount of time at
a salary, you set your life-style accordingly. And if you
live in an area that has a high cost of living... well,
$40k gross is pathetic.

In silicon valley, making under $50K qualifies you (a single person -- no kids, even) for rent-controlled housing....

A little over $3k a month, you say? Who can't live on
that, you say? Let's look at some *conservative* expenses for
someone who lives on the west coast and is used to a
household income that approaches $100k (dot boom salaries):

House payment: $1100+ (cheap on the west coast!)

That's how much your one-room efficiency in the rent-controlled apartment would cost, yep.

-Katie

and more from the TECHWR-L Store. All proceeds support TECHWR-L. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=techwhirl

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l