RE: Visio - edit custom colours

Subject: RE: Visio - edit custom colours
From: Karenm -at- proactive -dot- dk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:12:21 +0200

Jane Carnall wrote
<snip>
I have a diagram to edit, and feedback from the project manager says
"Change
the colours". (The colours on the diagram are a pale yellow and a pale
purple to make the diagram readable on the screen. The project manager
advises that most users will print the manual out on a b/w printer, and the
colours therefore need to look distinct in shades of grey.)
<snip>

This is a round-about way of solving your problem but it worked for me just
the other day. I have Visio 2000 and PaintShopPro 7. I had a GIF file with
a color I wanted someone to use in a Visio diagram. They needed the RGB
numbers. I opened it in PSP and under Colors, the Edit Palette is active.
This lists all the used colors in a grid. As you click on each color, it
shows its RGB value and the HTML number (like #000000). Viola! I only know
PSP but I would think other graphic programs had a method of displaying the
colors behind the scenes. In PSP, it only seems to work with GIF and not
with JPG or PSP (i.e. there the Edit Palette option is greyed out). I have
speculated whether a really special color might not be that accurate since
a GIF only handles 256 colors. It solved my problem at the time at least.

For future reference, if possible, tell people creating custom colors in
Visio to remember to click the Add Custom Color BEFORE leaving that custom
color dialog. They must also avoid overwriting previously created custom
colors.
1) Click in an unused box under Custom Color
2) Create the color
3) Click Add Custom Color
THEN it will be available for future reference. Otherwise, it does indeed
seem "lost forever". Hope this helps.

regards, Karen Mardahl

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com