Re: Electronic help files/manuals HTML Help or PDF?

Subject: Re: Electronic help files/manuals HTML Help or PDF?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:37:57 -0700

On 31 Jan 2003 at 9:47, Hart, Geoff wrote:

> <<A debate is taking place on whether we should continue with
> HTML-help or switch to PDF.>>
>
> There shouldn't be any debate. You mentioned that you're using
> context-sensitive help (as you should be) and you simply can't do that
> easily or elegantly with PDF. Stick with ForeHelp and HTML Help.

Case in point, the Acrobot "help file". It's a PDF, and if you've ever
tried to use it you probably walked away frustrated. Nothing takes
the place of GOOD context sensitive help.

Stick with PDFs as an alternative to shipping paper manuals, but
don't drop the on-line help!

Dana W.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com