Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:09:36 -0700

I wish I could say that was my experience, but my last one (with a corporate editor who rewrote *everything* that
didn't conform to his personal standards for style) led me to conclude that even editors who don't have tech skills
will often behave as if they do - or think they do - if they're working in an environment that appears to require them,
and if they're being *hired* by people who don't have both kinds of skills - for example, an R&D manager who has
tech skills but poor publications knowledge or a corporate communications type who is the reverse - and dumped
on the pubs group, the level of writer (not to mention pubs manager) frustration will be enormous. The truly effective
editors I've worked with have been grammar-and-spelling types who had the ability to distinguish between material
that was and was not "technical," and leave the stuff they didn't understand to the writers and SMEs to hash out.
In 10 years I've yet to encounter an editor who could truly say they had both sets of skills.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 07:42 AM 5/22/2003 -0700, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

You're still missing my point.

*Expectation* of both skills in a single individual leads to dissatisfaction for the employer, because they probably can't find such a person. (They're pretty rare, in my experience.)

Since they can't find such a person, they don't hire such a person.

Since they don't hire such a person, there's no such person causing frustrating working conditions for the writers.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com