Re: Looking for a good book on "corporate culture"

Subject: Re: Looking for a good book on "corporate culture"
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:20:52 -0800 (PST)

Geoff:

I feel that your research should be guided by what you
feel the primary purpose of most corporations is.
There are two basic possiblities:

To serve the customer.

or

For the people in power to feel comfortable.

If you feel that the first is true, then corporate
change rah-rah authors such as Tom Peters are the way
to go. (Maybe Tom is out of date; I have not read a
rah-rah book lately.)

If (as I do) you believe the latter prevails, then I
recommend reading books on Group Think (basically, the
study of how groups of people (interestingly, not only
company employees, but listserv members, church
members, etc.) set limits on members as to how much
proactivness is permissable - and punish any member
who wants to grow beyond those limits.

Tony Markos

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs