User vs. ???

Subject: User vs. ???
From: "Monforton, Margie" <mmmonfor -at- bf -dot- umich -dot- edu>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:16:54 -0500

Hi all,

My manager is averse to using the term "user" when referring to people
who access our training and/or technical information via the Web. I
remember hearing discussions of "user" versus "reader" or "consumer,"
but my searches of online journal databases, the Web (through Google),
and the TECHWR-L list have come up empty.

Does anyone know of some resources that address this question? If not,
what are your thoughts?

Margie Monforton
University of Michigan
Administrative Information Svcs.