Re: User vs. ???

Subject: Re: User vs. ???
From: Susan Walters <susan -dot- walters -at- asu -dot- edu>
To: "Monforton, Margie" <mmmonfor -at- bf -dot- umich -dot- edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:08:25 -0700

Gerry McGovern and Rob Norton in "Content Critical: Gaining Competitive Advantage Through High-Quality Web Content" address this issue specifically. In chapter one they start by talking about seeing your website as a "publication" and the people who use it as "readers."

The book was available online from the university library but I assume it's out there in hard copy as well. It's published by Pearson.

Hope this helps. If you need more info let me know as I have the book.

On Dec 13, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Monforton, Margie wrote:

Hi all,

My manager is averse to using the term "user" when referring to people
who access our training and/or technical information via the Web. I
remember hearing discussions of "user" versus "reader" or "consumer,"
but my searches of online journal databases, the Web (through Google),
and the TECHWR-L list have come up empty.

Does anyone know of some resources that address this question? If not,
what are your thoughts?

Margie Monforton
University of Michigan
Administrative Information Svcs.

project-based workflow. Try it today!

Doc-To-Help 2005 now has RoboHelp Converter and HTML Source: Author content and configure Help in MS Word or any HTML editor. No proprietary editor! *August release.

or visit

User vs. ???: From: Monforton, Margie