RE: Comair Crash

Subject: RE: Comair Crash
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:05:10 -0700

For those that weren't aware, the runway numbers aren't just picked out of the air. They do correspond to the compass points..so the guy should have noticed his compass didn't agree with the runway he intended.

Runway 30 at the Santa Maria airport, for example, is at a compass heading of 300 degrees. If you're going the other way on the same runway, it's Runway 12, at a compass heading of 120 degrees. Another interesting note..it's not said runway thirty or runway twelve, but runway three zero or runway one two.

A side note..for anyone in the SF Bay Area that likes airplanes, likes kids (especially special needs kids), or likes to volunteer, I've got a deal for you. http://www.takeflightforkids.org/ Take Flight for Kids is happening on September 30th at the Hayward airport, and is in desperate need of volunteers. They aim to take 150 kids with special needs and their family/friends up for rides in private airplanes, all at no cost. There's also ground displays of assistive technology devices, service dogs, and lots more. I volunteered for the sister even this spring, and had a great time.

Keri Morgret

The real question about the Comair crash, though, is why the First Officer
flying the airplane didn't notice that the runway number he thought he was
on and the heading showing on his compass didn't match. I suspect that the
outcome of the crash investigation will reinforce what many of us already
know: No matter how good the documentation is, you can't fully bulletproof
any system against human mistakes.

-- Tammy