RE: Nuts.

Subject: RE: Nuts.
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:33:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

> Part of the reason for that feeling is TWs are
> viewed in most companies as a
> cost of doing business rather than a profit center.
> While I realize that the
> statement refers to data base management, if you can
> convince upper
> management that good documentation helps the bottom
> line, then you can and
> will get promoted. I've done it several times;
> however, I was able to do it
> because they were small companies with hands on
> management and excellent
> rapport with the customers. When customers thanked
> the company President and
> VPs for improved instructions, it had an immediate
> affect. In most larger
> companies, upper management could give a rip.

Any time there's a discussion about the nature of the
TW busines, we ALWAYS eventually come back to this.
Once again, most of our problems in dealing with
management, career advancement, pay rates, and related
matters comes down to the fact that it is just about
impossible to quantify the TW's effect on the
company's bottom line. Anyone who can come up with a
methodology that would show the quality of the
documents adds dollars to the coffers would be a god.
Well, a demi-god at least. Well, he'd probably get a
lot of drinks for free. Or at least a soda.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList