Re: Documentation Quality and Standardization

Subject: Re: Documentation Quality and Standardization
From: punit shrivastava <punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:06:34 +0530

Hey Guys,
Very helpful views. Thanks for that.
But just one doubt which I would like to get cleared.

When we talk of quality standard of document, is it just about usability
factor for end user?

What about the formatting and look and feel factor of documentation?
Shouldn't such factors also be considered while defining Quality of a
document?

thanks
Punit

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security) <
David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com> wrote:

> I like to think of delivering value to the reader.
>
> One expression of value is this:
>
> Value = Quality / Cost
>
> However, due to the difficulty of defining meaningful "quality"
> measures, I started thinking of utility. Like this:
>
> Value = Utility / Cost
>
> Utility depends on the reader's purpose -- one can only say whether or
> not something is useful in the context of a purpose.
>
> So in the end I come back to agreeing with John, that you have to
> determine whether or not the reader achieves the result determined by
> the purpose.
>
> Bear
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/punitshrivastava%40gmail.com

Punit S.

http://www.doctohelp.com