RE: User Manuals

Subject: RE: User Manuals
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>, <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:47:51 -0400

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Lin Simsljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Chris Morton<salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > I had to learn FM for my last gig; nothing beats Adobe's FM Classroom In a
> > Book if you're in a hurry and can train yourself. That said, FM has seen
> > little in the way of any UI upgrade since it was ported over from Unix. I
> > found it appallingly retarded.
>
> The new FM 9 release included a MAJOR interface overhaul. I haven't
> personally seen it, but I'm told it's vastly different.
>
> Lin Sims

Lin is correct that FM9 has a drastically redesigned user interface. A quick visit to the Adobe website will provide a *lot* more details and a video tour.

As to the *old* FrameMaker interface, it was a deliberate decision on the part of Frame Technologies that was continued by Adobe to keep the UI as uniform as possible across all three of the platforms on which they supported FrameMaker. It's only now, when it has become basically a Windows-only application that it was reasonable to undertake a major UI overhaul.

-Fred Ridder

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.