Re: Documentation confidentiality level policy

Subject: Re: Documentation confidentiality level policy
From: Janet Swisher <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:47:46 -0500

The term for information that is covered by an NDA should follow the
terminology that is used in the NDA text. If the NDA uses the term
"confidential" for this material, then that is the term that should
appear on the material to alert readers that that the NDA applies.
"Proprietary" is another term that is sometimes used.

I've only seen three levels in practical use: public, confidential,
and internal. One company I contracted for had another level that was
restricted as to who within the company could see it, but I never
dealt with that level.

If you have customer support forums, you might want to have a
governance category for information from customers that they have
consented to share with other customers. In other words, customers
might want some support questions to be private between them and your
company, but make other questions searchable by other customers (but
not the general public). But that is a completely separate issue than
the categories for your own information.

--Janet

Visit my blog at: http://www.janetswisher.com

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.