RE: in search for better tools

Subject: RE: in search for better tools
From: "Jon Leer" <jleer -at- leertech -dot- net>
To: <beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:20:51 -0500

Authoring tool, authoring tool. You can "author" in about any tool, if you
are in a bad economy with the threat of being layed off at anytime. (Notepad
anyone?) Egad, I've certainly had to over the years. For a lot of companies
with limited budget for documentation the tool du jour is based on who was
last writing the documentation, or when a road block occurs and nobody
(upper management) knows what to do. "Just solve it" mentality.

We had one of these about 2 years ago. A long entrenched process with a
Framemaker environment. Output was being funneled through a crazy maze of
tools to end up with multiple brands of the same documentation for PDF and
online Help. One of the key post-Frame tools was no longer supported, and an
upgrade was going to cost more than the combined salaries of everybody in
the department. In comes a contractor and asks, "Hey why aren't you guys
using Flare? Lot easier." For comparible peanuts for the license, that
became the new solution. Of course, along with a few other unknown issues.
Like the learning curve.

Jon Leer
Leer Technical Communications
Bedford, NH
603-315-4029
jleer -at- leertech -dot- net
http://www.leertech.net

Technical and Business Communication Consulting:
Technical - Manuals to Online Help
Business - Marketing Communication
Content Management - Knowledge Base Development and User Experience