Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor

Subject: Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:33:22 -0500

I haven't tried Chrome, either, but I hear it supports the latest CSS bells
and whistles, so I may be checking it out soon.

We get Firefox as our default browser, but we can't access any of our
corporate stuff on SharePoint with it. It only works with IE.

-Wendy

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Pinkham, Jim <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com> wrote:

> And right up to that Chrome paragraph, we knew it had to be the Dell
> machine that was the issue :)
>
> Just kidding, folks.
>
> Hmmm....I'm a big fan of Google products, but really like Firefox and so
> haven't yet tried Chrome. IE something is our corporate standard, but I
> avoid it wherever possible these days -- took that browser so long to
> catch up to the best of its rivals, if it really has. I did upgrade to
> IE 8 a few months ago for web testing purposes. Even though, as I said,
> IE is our corporate standard, I seem to recall someone in IT having a
> near conniption when I went to 8.
>
> Jim
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+jim -dot- pinkham=voith -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+jim.pinkham <techwr-l-bounces%2Bjim.pinkham>=
> voith -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
> Behalf Of McLauchlan, Kevin
> Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:37 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single
> vendor
>
> This doesn't really qualify as irony, but I'm not sure how to categorize
> it, other than wryly amusing.
>
> Let's say you have tons of documents on your corporate intranet, created
> in Word.
>
> Let's say you have them on a network that is largely MS Windows servers.
>
> Let's say that they are organized and made available via SharePoint
> (from guess who).
>
> Let's say that everybody using SharePoint on that network is doing so
> from a Windows desktop, specifically the well-aged, but not abandoned,
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> Let's say that everybody using a company machine on that network gets
> Internet Explorer as their default browser (until/unless they
> deliberately change to a different browser).
>
> Let's further observe that when I, on a fairly generic Dell corporate
> machine with XP Pro X64, use IE 8 to track down a market requirements
> document in SharePoint and double-click the link to open/download that
> Word document... IE crashes. Every time. ("Internet Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience.")
>
> And finally, let's all chuckle as I fire up the Chrome browser, browse
> to the same Word document, double-click it's link in SharePoint, and
> have it on my desktop in seconds. (In OpenOffice... but that's another
> story.)
>
> To sum that up, Google's Chrome browser works at least 100% better than
> Microsoft's Internet Explorer on a business PC running a Microsoft OS,
> connecting over a Microsoft network to Microsoft servers via a Microsoft
> enterprise application to pick up a Microsoft Word document.
>
> Laugh? Or cry? You be the judge.
>
> Oh. Did I dis anybody? As near as I can see, I presented some annoying
> but verifiable facts (repeated the test with the identical results this
> very minute). Oi.
>
>
> Kevin McLauchlan
> Senior Technical Writer
> SafeNet, Inc.
> --
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
> privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
> immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
> computer without copying or disclosing it.
>
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
> build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
> Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single-
> sourcing -- generate 8 different formats and as many different versions
> as you need from just one project. Fast and intuitive.
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jim.pinkham%40voith.c
> om
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
> build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
> Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing
> --
> generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
> from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/voxwoman%40gmail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


Follow-Ups:

References:
Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor: From: McLauchlan, Kevin
RE: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor: From: Pinkham, Jim

Previous by Author: Re: Editing a PDF
Next by Author: Re: MadCap feedback privacy issue - ignore if you're not interested (was: Re: in search for better tools)
Previous by Thread: Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor
Next by Thread: Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads