RE: Customer-friendly word for "landline"

Subject: RE: Customer-friendly word for "landline"
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com" <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:33:02 -0800

Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com wrote:

> As ugly as they are, it seems to me that the closest thing to a legitimate
> word for a non-wireless phone is wireline, or wired phone.

John said his target is "6th-grade understanding." My guess is that "landline" is closer to that target than "wireline" or "wired," but it would take a survey to be sure.

One of the problems with "wireline" or "wired" is that most landline phones are cordless these days, and people think of the handset as the phone, not the base station that actually _is_ wired.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom