RE: Disclaim THIS!

Subject: RE: Disclaim THIS!
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:51:59 -0400

An equally intelligent approach would examine the relative
importance of affected elements and implement one that met the
requirements without inconveniencing customers.

So, for example, we ship actual instructions (WebHelp) that applies
either to exactly the model that the customer has, or to that model
and to a model with greater capability as a form of "upsell".
It's always clear which one an instruction applies to, if there's
a difference.

BUT - other than some true geeks, does anybody know anybody who
actually reads through all the disclaimer text?

I, for one, look only long enough to identify that booklet or
that section-of-a-larger-booklet as being useless to me
(no instructions or illustratinos or usable explanations),
and then I toss it aside, never to open again. Sometimes,
I don't even open plastic bag it's in.

The reams and reams of disclaimers and safety notices are
provided in order to satisfy bureaucrats and compliance-testing
engineers (who check off a box on a checklist, indicating that
certain documentation or certain stickers are present).

Lowering costs can mean increasing profits, but it can also
allow us to past the reductions along to customers. Customers
like that, when they lose nothing and get to keep some more
money.

- k
<bumpf-start>
or disclosing it.