RE: starting on page 2?

Subject: RE: starting on page 2?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>, "salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 07:24:45 -0700

Phil Snow Leopard wrote:

> APA is for academic writing, Chicago is for 'trade' or 'professional'
> writing.
>
> Your intern knew plenty of what he spoke; you just didn't understand
> that his knowledge was for a different audience and context. Should the
> day arise when you want to go get an MA or PHD is Technical
> Communication, you'd be wise to ask his advice about style.

According to Chris, he wasn't an intern, he was a manager: "a freshly-minted PhD ... assigned to _oversee_ our five-person (software) technical writing department"

And he most certainly _didn't_ know plenty -- he'd never heard of CMS or other style guides, and he didn't realize that the standards he wanted to apply were for a different audience and context. I certainly hope that's not typical of those with advanced degrees in Technical Communication.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom