Re: 2 Concerns with accepting NDAs... Re: portfolio docs that WEREconfidential...

Subject: Re: 2 Concerns with accepting NDAs... Re: portfolio docs that WEREconfidential...
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 11:54:11 -0700

Or even just YA site registration.

1) Here's one argument against this method: doing this forces your
prospects to get added to somebody else's prospect database, which in turn
means they're now on a list they otherwise didn't want to be on.

For example, in order to access a white paper for a project I'm working
on, I had to register... and sure enough, within 15 minutes, a sales rep
called me.

And suppose this list gets sold or otherwise re-used.

2) Even if this wasn't a concern, your prospects have now agreed to be
responsible for some third party's confidential information. Suppose their
system gets compromised?

Good concerns and points! I think that the way I've set things up, though, render them non-issues.

(1) The NDA is just a clickthrough saying that they abide by the terms. I am not collecting any info about the user; they just click Accept and that's it.

(2) The prospects don't need to be responsible for the info because unless they deliberately try to download things (which they can do), all they're doing is reading things as they're rendered on my website. So nothing for the client to be responsible for except for what's in their brain. And if their brain is compromised, then no concerns, really :-).

All this is making me understand why I've been so reluctant to walk this path, but it is necessary these days!

One good thing -- as I've been requesting permission from clients to post these things, when I've been specific as to which excerpts I want and also pointed out things that I understand *are* proprietary and that I won't use those things, people have readily given permission.

-Monique

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help