Is Flare maintenance worth the price?

Subject: Is Flare maintenance worth the price?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:01:27 -0400

Gang,

This is for people with MadCap Flare.

Once MadCap releases a new major version of Flare, do they ever update/fix the previous major version?
Or is each major version EOL as soon as a new one comes out?

The reason I ask is that I've been on Bronze Maintenance since version 1.dot.something, but now a manager here wants to drop the maintenance renewal.

I think part of the problem might be that our business model includes ongoing support for previous major product versions for several years after a new major version comes out (free...), so everybody here just expects that that's how it works for other companies, too.

>From my perspective, I've always thought of Bronze Maintenance as "yearly major update, plus insurance for 50 bucks less than yearly major update without insurance."

At any rate, due to the alacrity with which I download and install new major versions, I've never been in a position to notice what happens to support for the version I just left behind.

Anyone with experience, having been on maintenance and then dropped it?
Up-side? Down-side? Regrets? Delicious sense of freedom? Other?

I posted in the MadCap forums, but so far only one response.

- kevin
[PS: I'm sure the more astute among you can discern my selfish reason for wanting to keep Maintenance going, but I'll happily say it out loud if anyone wants to admit to being a little naïve. :-> It's business 101. Hmm... also Marriage 101. ]

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help