RE: So now we are content engineers?

Subject: RE: So now we are content engineers?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Joe Pairman <joepairman -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:06:52 -0500

Context is everything. Here at our house, CMS Engineer is a lovely woman named Susanna, who sits one cube away from me and is the local Configuration Management System goddess. Her knowledge of products and processes is encyclopedic. She's also been around long enough to be a significant chunk of the corporate memory. At various meetings, she asks even more "whoops... did you guys think of..." questions than I do.

The reason I bring it up is that, if I raised my voice and said "CMS", only my co-techwriter and I would be thinking of "Content Management", and *everybody* else who heard the term would be thinking of what Susanna does. She's been at what she does, for this company, about as long as I've been at what I do for this company (since a previous century), and I'm pretty sure that her brand of CMS had a deeper and wider history (across industries) than does the techwriter-ish "CMS". In fact, I'm surprised that we (techwriters) came up with that initialism, given that most of us work for companies that would have had Configuration Management as a corporate concern long before they'd have had Content Management as a concern. We should have been aware of the Config term before we even thought about the Content term, just from working in the real world.

So then, I start to imagine that the techwriters who were exposed to the Content Management concept before being exposed to the Configuration Management concept would have been the ones who actually went to school to be techwriters (a recent phenomenon)... and learned CMS from academics who might or might not have had real-world experience. That is, the fresh young things would have heard "Content Management" first, in class, because they had yet to be exposed to jobs in industry, where they'd learn about "Configuration Management". Hmmm. Thus are myths created and perpetuated. :-)