Re: Job Description - Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Job Description - Thoughts?
From: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 07:43:57 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:12 AM Helen OBoyle <hoboyle -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi Lucy,
>
> I'm confused. How do you get "male" out of that? Because it's specific
> about technical skills and technical passion as well as about looking for a
> writer who likes to write (and wouldn't just use the position as a back
> door to development)?
>
> As a technical woman, I have fought to be taken seriously for my technical
> skills and enthusiasm in a gender-blind manner for years, and I didn't see
> anything in that JD that turned me off. If anything, it intrigued me as the
> kind of multi-hatted role I savor, that would utilize a broad spectrum of
> my tech skills as well as my writing skills. Of course, that assumes the
> role paid appropriately for the skills of an English-literate engineer.
>
> I also saw nothing wrong with the JD clarifying that this was more than a
> cutnpaste role. Perhaps you've had the good fortune of never encountering
> people in the tech writer role whose duties do substantially involve
> reformatting of existing product information, but they're out there in all
> genders in surprising numbers. Being clear that they're looking for a
> different sort of writer than that might help to narrow the applicant pool
> to those more likely to be of interest.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Helen.

As I think about this listing, especially in the context of it being a
start-up (do we hyphenate that?), my cynical side wonders if maybe
they really want someone to do all the API and Network work who will
also write it up, and that they approach it from the tech writer side
to keep costs down. :-/

Bob
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com