Re: Letters and E-mail

Subject: Re: Letters and E-mail
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 15:02:15 EST

About e-mailing the "thank-you" letter after an interview:

Maybe I'm old fashoned, but I'm not too hot on that idea. I've e-mailed
an initial response and a resume, but I always followed both up with
a printed copy in the mail. To me, the point of the e-mail response
was 1) to make a rapid contact, and 2) to demonstrate some teeny bit
of computer skills.

The paper resume demonstrates layout skills, and serves as an additional
"ping" to the prospective employer. For best effect, you want this
second "ping" to take place a few days after the first (e-mail) contact.
(By the same token, I'd send a resume by fax, if the number was available,
and still follow up with the mailed copy. Fax quality is good, but you
still get the double effect this way.)

The thank-you letter serves, in addition to saying thanks, as a last "ping"
to the employer, so their memory is stirred a few days later. In that
respect, you actually -want- the letter to arrive a little while after
the interview. In order to do that with e-mail, you'd have to wait a
few days, and that doesn't seem like a hot idea on a thank-you.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com