Re: splitting up a big Word file

Subject: Re: splitting up a big Word file
From: "Brandenberger, Jim" <JBranden -at- P02 -dot- IL50 -dot- MICRO -dot- HONEYWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 09:38:00 CST

>From Chani Sacharen

>Seeing as how I was warned to stay away from the Master document -
>Subdocument features, I was wondering:

>How do you split up your big Word files, and still keep those cross
references, >tables of contents and index?

We have been *wrestling this bear* for a while and have found no way to link
files for cross-reference other than the Master document. There are a couple
things that helped us a little.

Get Word for Windows V6.0c or later. V6.0c has fewer problems with
cross-reference than earlier versions. At least, we have found fewer.
Microsoft gave us updates when we call the tech support line with our
cross-reference problems.

The cross-reference for section title seems to work. The page number
reference frequently are lost when a document is reopened. The table of
content seems to work correctly, so we added the section title to reference.
Using the section title and table of content made it easier to add the page
numbers by (grrr!) hand.

Hope these help. If you have the time, call or E-Mail Microsoft and complain
about this *Application deficiency* (<-- Software producer's PC term for
Bug.) The more complaints, the better the chance for a *Software Step-Up*
(<-- Software producer's PC term for Bug-fix upgrade.). Sarcasm is a good
vent for frustration!

Jim Brandenberger
jbranden -at- p02 -dot- il50 -dot- micro -dot- honeywell -dot- com

Innovation is never having to say, "Me, too!"