Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L

Subject: Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 23:16:05 GMT

In article <Chameleon -dot- 4 -dot- 01 -dot- 950919091305 -dot- ericray -at- PC03679 -dot- wiltel -dot- com>,
Eric_Ray -at- wiltel -dot- com writes:
>Gang,

>I am seriously considering restricting access to TECHWR-L to
>only allow subscribers to post. This would eliminate the problems
>with spam and our latest obnoxious anonymous poster, but would
>also somewhat restrict postings from those of us with flaky
>E-mail addresses. For example, the list thinks I'm Eric_Ray -at- PC03786 -dot- wiltel -dot- com
>so I could continue to post from here. If I were reading my mail from
>any other machine here--same account, different physical machine,
>I couldn't post.

>Usenet or NetNews posters might or might not be able to post,
>depending on how I implement it. Not allowing postings
>from USENET would be most effective, but also the biggest pain. Usenet
>readers would have to mail directly to TECHWR-L, rather than posting
>through bit.listserv.techwr-l.

Writing as someone who accesses this list through Usenet, I would
obviously much prefer that you keep the list open. I get a ton of
email already at work, and being able to scan the messages to this
list through news and pick the ones I want to read is really helpful.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.

"Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read"