Re: The List's Decline

Subject: Re: The List's Decline
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:03:01 -0800

>I'm on a list that discusses Shetland Sheepdogs, and that list is
>WAY more on-topic, has much more of a variety of subjects discussed,
>and is significantly more interesting than TECHWR-L at this point.

I know there's a good line about going to the dogs in there somewhere, but I
can't quite get it.

The big problem I have with the list is that the posts on interesting
subjects are usually long, so I delete most of them unread. Also, I'm sorry
to say, a lot of the writing that appears here is not very crisp. In fact
much of it is badly muddled.

I realize that many list members have inadequate mail tools. I realize that
many have important contributions they want to make but don't have time to
write them carefully. I realize that many simply don't place the same value
on presentation and writing quality in list postings that they place on
those qualities in their work products.

Whatever the reason, there's a lot of stuff here that wouldn't help you get
a job if it were in your portfolio. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro