Re: FrameMaker Required

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Required
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 06:57:08 PST

Steve Jong writes:

>I think in a Tool X shop, proficiency with Tool X is a reasonable criterion,
>especially, as Jim points out, for a time-critical situation (for which you
>are likely to hire a contractor).

The reasonableness of any criterion is based on results. Most Frame
users (like most users of any package) are dreadful hacks who desperately
need formal training. This is especially true of contractors, who feel
time pressure keenly.

The fact is, though, that I have never failed at getting someone trained
at Interleaf, even contractors (and even though I didn't send contractors
off to training, but had them read the manual and coached them). In a
week or so, they were doing work the way *I* wanted it done, and grasped
the essentials enough to come ask me questions if they couldn't find
an efficient way to do things.

So, in my opinion, on-the-job training in DTP is okay even for contractors,
especially because the local environment, procedures, and templates are of
overwhelming importance.

But for employees, it's hands down: it's better to get someone who has
never even seen the package than someone who hacks around in it. Both
are trainable, but the latter has much to unlearn. Either way, though,
new employees need to be trained in the techniques and procedures of
the department, and any hiring manager who thinks otherwise is blind.

There are a lot of blind hiring managers out there (so never think
that it's hard to be a manager -- "In the land of the buttless, the
half-assed man is king").

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139