A Preposition *WHERE*?

Subject: A Preposition *WHERE*?
From: Beth Jankowski <bjj -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:00:31 GMT

Tim Altom wrote:

>Paranthetically, there is no rule banning ending sentences with
>prepositions. That's a holdover in common mythology from the early
>insistence on making English grammar parallel that of the Latin. The ?rules"
>I'm constantly referring to (often with other terms) are actually
>conventions. We break conventions at our peril, because we run the risk of
>not being understood. And that's a maximal sin in our business.

A book that I highly recommend for all writers, _Write Tight_, was the
first source I found that *gave permission* to end a sentence with a
preposition. I agree with this, as long as it is used sparingly. I
just gag when I come across "to which" in documentation since it comes
across as stuffy and formal, and interrups the flow.

Anyone with other opinions, views, sources on this topic?

Beth Jankowski
bjj -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com