Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?--Churchill again

Subject: Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?--Churchill again
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 08:49:52 -0600

I don't know why, but there are multiple versions of the Churchill
story around. I've heard he was not protesting the "rule,"
he was questioning the actions of an editor who tried
to impose the rule upon him. I quote from _Engineered Report
Writing_ by Melba W. Murray, 1969, pp. 58-59, which I found in
the company library.

"You Can End a Sentence with a Preposition--because a
preposition is sometimes the best word to end a
sentence _with_. The Latin prepostion was literally a
pre-positioned word, in accordance with its name or definition,
so it came 'before.' That's how we came by the rule that
you can't end a sentence with a preposition. Then Winston
Churchill made his now-famous notation
on a script corrected by a clerk or secretary:
'This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will
not put.'"

This is the _only_ place I've seen this "quote" in writing, and
this version may not be verifiable.

Murray goes on to use another example of a poster at a credit union.
The poster had a penny taped to it, and it read "--And there's more
from where this came!" :-)

Regards,
LaVonna

At 04:06 PM 3/20/96 -0800, Leif wrote:
>Winston Churchill is reported to have responded to the "rule" preventing
>ending sentences with a preposition by saying:

>"That is a rule up with which I shall not put."

>Leif Wennerberg
>Menlo Park, CA
>leif -at- kudonet -dot- com

LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
You are invited to browse our web site: http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.