Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?--Churchill again

Subject: Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?--Churchill again
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:31:00 EST

LaVonna;
The Churchill quote is actually: "This is the kind of arrant pedantry
up with which I will not put." and if I remember accurately, was issued from
that famous orator's mouth when he was proofing the draft manuscript of his
History of the English Speaking Peoples. I believe that this quote first
appeared in a two volume biography of Churchill by his son (Randolph I think
was his name), although I'd have to check to make sure.
Regards
Paul C
paul -dot- cheverie -at- gpo -dot- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 8:49AM

"You Can End a Sentence with a Preposition--because a
preposition is sometimes the best word to end a
sentence _with_. The Latin prepostion was literally a
pre-positioned word, in accordance with its name or definition,
so it came 'before.' That's how we came by the rule that
you can't end a sentence with a preposition. Then Winston
Churchill made his now-famous notation
on a script corrected by a clerk or secretary:
'This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will
not put.'"

This is the _only_ place I've seen this "quote" in writing, and
this version may not be verifiable.

Murray goes on to use another example of a poster at a credit union.
The poster had a penny taped to it, and it read "--And there's more
from where this came!" :-)

Regards,
LaVonna

At 04:06 PM 3/20/96 -0800, Leif wrote:
>Winston Churchill is reported to have responded to the "rule" preventing
>ending sentences with a preposition by saying:

>"That is a rule up with which I shall not put."

>Leif Wennerberg
>Menlo Park, CA
>leif -at- kudonet -dot- com

LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
You are invited to browse our web site: http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.