Re: Topical Postings

Subject: Re: Topical Postings
From: Brad Connatser <cwrites -at- USIT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 12:45:46 GMT

In article <Chameleon -dot- 961004074743 -dot- ejray -at- ejray -dot- ionet -dot- net>, "Eric J. Ray"
<ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:

> Grammar AS IT CLEARLY PERTAINS TO technical communication is
> acceptable, while grammar for its own sake is not.

There's no such thing as grammar that does not pertain to technical
communication. All grammar pertains to technical communication.

> Personal attacks of any sort (e.g. "those wacko, outrageous implied
> or direct statements") ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. BTW, posting
> personal messages to the list is also generally considered
> extremely rude, Joanna.

What do you think you just did?

> Joanna, if you or anyone else aren't comfortable with the restrictions
> placed on acceptable topics on TECHWR-L, I'd encourage you to find
> or create other discussion forums in which to discuss the topics that
> you choose. (A list of lists was posted to TECHWR-L earlier this
> week and is available from me on request.)

That's like saying, "If you don't like the way this country is being run,
go to another country." I like to think of TECHWR-L as a little democratic
country, where we can all discuss things openly. And while Eric does have
the final say, I think he would prefer to exercise the collective will of
the "governed," instead of ruling absolutely. However, name-calling and,
as Eric says, rude personal posts may dilute this possibility. I would
like to know straight from Eric: Is this list autocratic or democratic?
Either way, I'm staying because (not since) the people on this list are
wonderfully diverse, intelligent, and sincere about helping others.

Brad

--
Brad Connatser
Concurrent Communications