Re: Up and down thing

Subject: Re: Up and down thing
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 09:13:00 -0400

In my phone support days, I used to describe backslash as "the one on the
same button as the question mark."

I think a couple of years doing phone support is a very good education
for a tech writer. Not necessarily fun, but very educational.

From: Paul David Marvel[SMTP:marvel -at- UDEL -dot- EDU]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 1996 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: Up and down thing


> Looking at my UK-layout keyboard, the 'vertical bar' symbol is above
the =
> BACKSLASH key, next to 'Z' - the symbol over the forward slash is a =
> question mark. From this I gather that UK and US keyboard layouts are

> different.

I made a mistake in my original post--our "vertical bar" is over the
slash* and the question mark is over the front slash. However, neither is
beside the zed in spite of yankee mistakes, so the keyboards are

It's useful to know that the "vertical bar" is on the same key as the
backslash in the UK also because that's part of the audience--thanks for
the info.

Previous by Author: Re: Writing vs. ??? TECHNICAL writing
Next by Author: Re: Another "TWs get no respect" story
Previous by Thread: Re: Up and down thing
Next by Thread: Re: Up and down thing

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads