Re: Usability: Tutorial *chapter* or *manual*

Subject: Re: Usability: Tutorial *chapter* or *manual*
From: Michael Clark <mclark -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:23:10 -0400

> <oops> I forgot to give my rationale for my preference: It's been my
> experience that users whio find a separate tutuorial are more likely to
> start there and that they are less likely to use a tutorial that is a part
> of the documentation. I'm not sure whay that is, but it was the case at
> two places I worked.

I find I'm always more motivated to work through material when I can see
the goal line and can gauge my progress.

If I'm working through a separate tutorial, the goal is the last page,
and I can eyeball my progress. If it's part of a bigger manual,
however, the carrot's gone because you can't tell where the tutorial
ends and the rest begins. Perhaps that's why people prefer separate
tutorials (?)

Mike