Re: Developing Training Materials

Subject: Re: Developing Training Materials
From: "Ella M. Beale Peacock" <epeacock -at- DFW -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:22:48 -0500

Hi all.. A question was asked:

> I am looking for a book, article, anything that explains, in
> straight-forward language geared at non-writers and non-training
> developers, a good high-level approach to developing training > materials.

I've recently took a refresher course in adult learning theory and
instructional design. The textbook for this course:

Developing Technical Training
A Structured Approach for the Development of
Classroom and Computer-Based Instructional Materials

Author: Ruth Colvin Clark (c) 1989, 1994
Publisher: Buzzards Bay Press, Phoenix, AZ
ISBN: 0-9641045-0-4

I found this text to be very informative and easy to read. It
emphasizes the use of an Instructional Systems Design. It further
describes the 5 basic content types and devotes a separate chapter on
how to teach: procedures, concepts, factual information, processes, and
principles. It's liberally illustrated with flow charts, process
diagrams, besides being written using Information Mapping (r) style.

BTW, just checked to see if www.amazon.com had this in stock and found
their catalog was out of date. While it listed the original hardback
version published by addison - wesley in 1989, it did not list the
paperback version I purchased through the college book store. I've let
Amazon know about its re-release so maybe they'll update their catalog.

TTYL

Ella