Hardware Writers Do Exist

Subject: Hardware Writers Do Exist
From: Michael Johnson <michaelj -at- OECMED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:55:27 -0700

A couple of weeks ago, I asked if there were any hardware writers out there. I posed the question so that I'd know where to send my resume the next time I'm looking for work.

I am happy to say that our species is not yet extinct, and the few folks who responded do some pretty amazing stuff, to wit:

Patricia in Montreal writes installation, specification, and upgrade manuals for telecommunications hardware.

Mary who lives near Buffalo is currently documenting a machine that makes paintbrushes. She has previously written P&P manuals for a water treatment plant, and has documented a machine that tests motors.

Don from Chicago works for Argonne National Lab. I accidentally deleted his message, but I think he documents materials tests. Sorry I lost your message, Don.

Chris from Vancouver currently documents software, but used to be a hardware writer. I get the impression Chris misses the good old days.

Chris from San Diego writes maintenance instructions, circuit descriptions, and upgrade manuals for computer hardware.

Mike from Micron in Idaho works on IC data books and writes reference materials for running process equipment.

Steve from Atlanta documents satellite tracking systems.

Don (didn't get the address) is a freelance magazine article writer, but used to do maintenance instructions for the White Motor Corp. They make big trucks.

Samantha (didn't get her address either) documents logic analyzers for HP.

Howard from Monitowoc, WI documents electromechanical systems such as commercial dryers, oxidizers, agricultural equipment, and yachts.

Joe from Dell Rapids, SD has spent the last 10 years documenting aircraft. Joe says he writes intermediate, organizational and depot-level books. Sounds like military stuff.

Horace works in Houston, TX. He's been documenting electronic hardware over 30 years, and worked as an electronic technician before that.

David from Australia documents hardware and software for the railway industry.

Barb (no address) has written installation and operating guides for motor drives, strip and web guide alignment, and fastening systems. She has also written software docs for PLCs and transformer monitoring systems.

James from Melville, NY documents electronic hardware. He has an electrical engineering background and a degree in TW. James says he is also a ham radio operator and a "certified healer of appliances."

I've got about 19 years of experience documenting all kinds of hardware: video terminals, computer graphics hardware, microwave communications gear, avionics for heavy bombers,
helicopter weapon systems, broadcast equipment, security systems, and X-ray machines.

Thanks to everybody who responded!

Mike Johnson
michaelj -at- oecmed -dot- com
Salt Lake City, Utah